- The President of the Minister’s Board (the Prime Minister) Józef Cyrankiewicz appointed Stanisław Barszczewski to the post of the Director Administration of the Palace of Culture and Science of Józef Stalin name. Before the official opening the building was visited by several diginitaries, i.e. the Prime Minister of the USSR Nikita Krushchev, the Prime Minister of India Jawaharlal Nehru together with his daughter Indira Ghandi and others.
- In May 1955
First users entered the Palace. According to the resolution of the Presidium of the Government of 1954 the Administration of the Palace of Culture and Science became a host and could place users according to “allowances” of Minister’s Board Office. The first institutions “allowed|” were: the Theatre of Polsih Troops House, the Puppet Theatre „Lalka” and the Museum of Technics of Leading Technical Organization.
- 21st of July 1955
The Palace of Culture and Scince of Józef Stalin name was delivered to the Polish society on the 21st of July. On this occasion the Soviet and Polish builders of the Palace were decorated with numerous orders.
- 22nd of July 1955
At the Congress Hall a ceremonial academy was held on the 22nd of July, the first anniversary of the Manifesto of PKWN – Polski Komitet Wyzwolenia Narodowego (Polish Committee of National Release). The Academy was attended by governmental delegations of ten satellite states and the USSR itself. The Hall was filled in with 3 thousand crowd of “working people” of the capital city of Warsaw. On this day the Palace was allowed for visitors for the first time. More than 20 thousand people took this opportunity and visited the Palace.
- In July 1955
Successive users started their activities, i.e. Polish Academy of Science, Institute of Social Studies and Evening University of Marxism and Leninism.
- 4th of August 1955
In front of the Palace a picnic of friendship attended by youths from 27 countries and from the capital city of Warsaw was held on the 4th of August.
- 8th of December 1955
On the 8th of December a thunderstorm appeared unexpectedly. A thunderbolt cut at the peak. The lighting conductor installation was positively tested atop.
- 17th of December 1955
The Palace celebrated a jubilee on the 17th of December The half a millionth guest visited it.
- 31st of December 1955
A great ceremonial concert was held on the 31st of December with the participation of artists of Warsaw scenes: Adolf Dymsza, Ludwik Sempoliński and Tadeusz Fijewski.
- In January
The television transmitting switch gear was installed on the 27th floor in January.
- Simultaneously with political and propaganda events started series of artistic events and entertainments in 1956. These events suggested the Palace as a place of special “licensed freedom” of artistic expressions.
- 30th of April 1956
The installation works for premanent television station on the 5th and 27th floor were finished on the 30th of April.30 This installation allowed to increase the range from 30 km to 100km and perform the transmission of the 1st of May Academy held at the Congress Hall.
- 27th of October 1956
A very important circumstance not only for the Palace but for the whole country took place on the 27th of October. There was a great rally of the Warsaw inhabitants on the Defilad Square, where Włądysław Gomułka – the First Secretary of the Central Committee of the Polish United Worker’s Party received a great suport for so called „thaw”, as the people used to name abandon from the Stalinist repressions.
- 17th of November 1956
The Presidium of the Government undertook the Resolution no. 731/56 on the 17th of November concerning the transmission of the Palace of Culture and Science of Józef Stalin name from the “protection” of the Minister’s Council Office to the supervision of the Presidium of the National Council of Warsaw. Since that moment the name of Józef Stalin as a patron of the Palace disappeared from the official documents
- 31st of December 1956
The great ball was held on the 31st of December in marble halls of the Palace and they took over from this moment a tradition of balls in Warsaw Technical University.
- In January
The Congress Hall had a French actor Yves Montand over in January. In former „Hall of Diplomats” , back to the Congress Hall took place an opening of a Polish Pen – Club seat.
- 16th of February 1957
The Administration of the Palace organized a great carnival ball in redoubt halls on the 16th of February for two thousand participants. The elections of “Miss of Palace 1957” also took place.
- 19th of September 1957
The curtain of glass fibre was hung over the stage of the Congress Hall on the 19th of September. It was – according to the press – the first fire – resistant curtain in Europe.
- 7th of November 1957
The editorial offices of „Woman and Life” and „Filipinka” entered the Palace on the 7th of November.
- In February
The first concert of a popular music took place in February. This concert inaugurated a cycle of concerts called “Warsaw Concerts”.
</br/>The elections of “Miss of Warsaw 1958” were held at the Congress Hall. There were seventeen competitors living in Warsaw and among them eighteen years old chorus-girl from Warsaw Operetta – Zuzanna Cembrowska was chosen.
- 31st of May 1958
The Prime Minister Józef Cyrankiewicz solemnly revealed at the Palace Halls the Third International Book Fair on the 31st of May. There were 30 thousand books from 20 countries displayed. This event was the first bokk fair held at the Palace.
- In August 1958
The series of postmarks was issued in the Soviet Union in August. On one of them the profile of the Palace of Culture and Science appeared.
- 24th of September 1958
Jan Kiepura, the singer very well known all over the world, living for good in the United States, appeared at the Palace on the 24th of September.
- 14th of October 1958
A certain man jumped from the thirtieth floor of the Palace on the 14th of October. It was the first suicide jump from the Viewing Terrace.
The capital press recapitulated three years activity of the Palace of Culture and Science. The Palace was visited by twenty million persons. Twelve million tickets to the theatres and cinemas were sold. The elevators at the Palace crossed 500 thousand kilometers. The thirtieth floor floor was visited by 1.258.000 persons. Na XXX kondygnację wjechało 1.258.000 osób. There were 38 institutions having their seats at the Palace with 23 thousand working and studying people. In summer during one day 40 thousand people stay midding. For the second year in a row the Palace was self-sufficient financially.
- 15th of January 1959
The exhibition of contrary alcoholic placard was open on the 15th of January in so called „Okrąglak” (round shape room).
- 19th of March 1959
The Third Congress of the Polish United Worker’s Party finished its nine days proceedings on the 19th of March. It was the first party congress held at the Palace of Culture and Science.
- In March 1959
The Congress Hall have the writer Melchior Wańkowicz over in March.
- 6th of April 1959
The Presidium of the National Council undertook the Resolution in December. According to this Resolution the Palace of Culture and Scince took over in its administration and use from the 6th of April all the objects of Łazienki Park. Łazienki remained under the administartion of the Pałace of Culture and Science up to 1964 inclusive.
- 20th of July 1959
At the Classic Theatre streams of water run down on the stage and the audience on the 20th of July in the afternoon. The theatre was completely flooded. It was stated that because of sweltering heat the fire extinguishing appliances were activated automatically.
- in October 1959
The academy of the fifteenth anniversary of Public Militia and Security Service creation was held in October.
- 31st of December 1959
The central fun was organized by the Factory Council at the Administration of the Palace of Culture and Science on the 31st of December. During this night there were held 8 balls for 4 thousand Warsaw inhabitants.
- 17th of March 1960
The experimental „Cinema of Good Films” was open at the Wiedza (Knowledge) cinema on the 17th of March. As the first film „Pancernik Potiomkin” („Ironclad Potiomkin”) of the Soviet production was projected.
- 22nd of April 1960
The academy on the occasion of the 90th anniversary of Włodimierz Lenin birth was held on the 22nd of April at the Congress Hall.
- 30th of June 1960
The Classic Theatre displayed on the 30th of June for the three hundred time the spectacle „Drzewa Umierają Stojąc” (“Trees Dye Staying”) with Mieczysława Ćwiklińska starring.
- 16th of July 1960
The conference hall on the fourth floor was named as Rudniew Hall (for memory of the main designer of of the Palace Professor Lew Rudniew.) on the 16th of July. The reminding table was built in over the entrance.
- 2nd of September 1960
The Exhibition of Agricultural and Country Building Machines was open at Defilad Square on the 2nd of September.
- 17th of November 1960
In the swimming pool of the Palace of Youth a female student of the first level of the Chemistry Faculty of Warsaw University sank on the 17th of November bacause of heart attack.
- 4th Of December 1960
The first go-cart race in Warsaw took place at Defilad Square on the 4th Of December. Andrzej Piecha from Katowice won this race.
- 9th of January 1961
On the 9th of January the National Council of the capital c city of Warsaw ity of Warsaw conceded one of annual awards of the capital city of Warsaw in the sculpture section. The award was conceded to the sculptress Professor dr Ludwika Nitschowa – the author of Mikołaj Kopernik’s monument, staying in front of the main entrance to the Palace.
The traditional ball of Sport Masters was organized in „Kongresowa” restaurant. During this event the results of the plebiscite of „Przegląd Sportowy” for the best Sport Master of Poland 1960 were announced. The winner was Zbigniew Pietrzykowski – famous boxer all over the world.
- 9th of April 1961
The Museum of Technics of the Leading Technical Organization got to its collections one original specimen of French rocket “Veronique” on the 9th of April.
- 6th of May 1961
Mieczysław Fogg held at the Congress Hall his jubilee of thirty years of artistic career on the 6th of May.
- 21st of July 1961
The Palace entertained Jurij Gagarin – the first cosmonaut in the world on the 21st of July.
- In September 1961
National Dancing Team of the Ukrainian Socialist Soviet Republic appeared in September on the stage of the Congress Hall and presented its repertoire: “Polka Kołchozowa” (“Kolchoz Pole”), “Na Polu Kukurydzy” (“On Corn Field”) and “Jadą Traktory” (“Tractors Drive”).
Also in September the premiere of the spectacle „Indyk” („Turkey”) of Sławomir Mrożek directed by Zbigniew Bogdański was put out.
Near the Palace, from Aleje Jerozolimskie side, the motor salon was open, presenting assortment of motorcycles on the local market.
- In November 1961
The Italian quartet „Marion – Marini” arrived in Poland and presented at the Congress Hall Italian songs and new dance „twist”.
- During the performance of Danish actress Birthe Wilke at the Congress Hall the fire protection curtain was immobilized. The interruption lasted for half an hour. Since the beginning of its exploitation, ie. from 1957 it was its first accident.
- 27th of March 1962
On the 27th of March at the Congress Hall was organized a meeting of Warsaw inhabitants with Włądysław Gomułka, the candidate deputy to the Parliament (Sejm) from Warsaw-Praga district.
The Administartion of the Palace Cinemas activated the „Point of Children’s Care” from 4 to 8 years of age. The parents going to the cinema could bring along their children and leave them during the showing under professional care.
- 13th of May 1962
A solemn concert at the Congress Hall with the attendance of laureates of the plebiscite for the most popular television actor was organized on the 13th of May. The laureates of „Złota Maska” („Golden Mask”) became: Kalina Jędrusik and Gustaw Holoubek.
- 1st of September 1962
The Secretary General of the United Nations Organization U Thant visited the Palace on the 1st of September while paid an official visit to Poland.
- 30th of September 1962
Up to then all the exhibition and conference halls were numbered. On the 30th of September to some of them the names were given: Kopernika, Dzierżyńskiego, Skłodowskiej – Curie, Broniewskiego, Korczaka, Kruczkowskiego and Gagarina.
- 11th of November 1962
The premiere of art of William Shakespeare’s „Hamlet” was displayed at the Dramatic Theatre on the 11th of November. The spectacle was directed by Gustaw Holoubek, simultaneously starring. The scene arrangement was performed by Jan Kosiński.
- 18th of November 1962
A certain 47 years old man committed suicide jumping from the viewing terrace on the thirtieth floor on th 18th of November.
- 12th of December 1962
The Soviet leader Leonid Breżniew vivited the Palace on the 12th of December.
- 31st of March 1963
The Conference of the Permanent Working Group for Culture of Clothes at the Commission of Light Industry of the Council of Mutual Economic Help was organized in Rudniew Hall on the 31st of March.
The demonstration of the Soviet country cuisine dishes was held in Trojka restaurant. The following dishes were presented: crab in jelly, stuffed pike, mashroom spawn, leash of pike on frying pan, kidney in Russian style, small pieces of meat, salmon in Moscow style.
- 20th of June 1963
On the 20th of June at the exhibition halls on the fourth floor the exhibition – commercial salon of equipment for mechanization of calculation and other office works was open.
- 28th of July1963
Famous French actress Dalida appeared on the stage of Congress Hall on the 28th of July. She was classified then as a high top world wide band stand artists.
- 17th of October 1963
On the 17th of October the Palace was visited by the Prime Minister of Ceilon (actually Sri Lanka) Sirimavo Banadranaike.
- 28th of October 1963
On the 28th of October the Palace was visited by Walentyna Tierieszkowa – the first women cosmonaut.
The American singer Paul Anka presented at the Congress Hall songs composed by himself.
- In December 1963
The Congress Hall was furnished with movie panorama screen.
- 19th of January1964
Marlena Dietrich appeared at the Congress Hall on the 19th of January. He sang and presented her creations in English, French and German. A few days after her performance French composer and singer Gilbert Becaud came to the Congress Hall.
- 1st of July 1964
The President of Yugoslavia Josip Broz Tito together with his wife visited the Palace on the 1st of July.
- In July 1964
Also in July Polish Society of Roses’ Fans organized at the Congress Hall the exhibition of their goods.
- 24th of August 1964
At Dzierżyński Hall oan the fourth floor bursted fire on the 24th of August. The Hall was completely burnt though the prompt action of the Palace fire brigade.
- During the Fifteenth International Space Congress attended by scientists from 26 countries the results of rocket “Ranger 7” flight were discussed. The photos of Moon not published up to then were presented.
- In January 1965
The photo exhibition „People’s Communes in China” was organized in January at Gagarin Hall by the Society of Polish – Chinese Friendship.
At the exhibition hall of the Dramatic Theatre the exhibition of reminders of the President of the USA John Kennedy was open.
- 6th of March 1965
On the 6th of March since the morning a long line of people stayed near the Palace. At Marble hall the exhibition of modern American graphics with 2 thousand exhibits was open.
- 4th of April 1965
The first lady of world jazz Ella Fitzgerald and Oscar Peterson team performed on the stage of the Congress Hall on the 4th of April.
Jan Brzechwa revealed at Korczak Hall the exhibition „Animal World in Children’s Eyes”. The pupils from Plastic Centre in Jelonki made 520 drawings on this item.
- 17th of July 1965
The solemn academy was hel dat the Congress Hall on the 17th of July on the occasion of tenth anniversary of the Palace of Culture and Science.
Later at the same day a heavy thunderstorm started. The streets were changed into rapid streams For the first time in the history canalization appliances failed. The following objects were completely flooded: “Kongresowa” restaurant, energetic channel of the Palace, basements of zone “Ż”, central ventilation system – zone “A”, staircase on the sixth floor – zone “A” and rooms on the fourteenth floor.
- 25th of September 1965
The team of film producers „Rytm” presented at the Congress Hall the screening of „Popioły” (”Slags”) directed by Andrzej Wajda.
A certain French citizen commited suicide and jumped from the viewing terrace on the thirtieth floor.
- 28th of November 1965
The youth scene of Classic Theatre got a name „Widziadło” („Apparition”) on the 28th of November. It started a season with premiere of art “Suok – dziewczynka z wozu cyrkowego” (“Suok – Girl from Circus Waggon”), based on the novel of Jurii Olesza “Trzech Tłuściochów” („Three Fatties”).
- 3rd of December 1965
On the 3rd of December the demonstration of Christian Dior Fashion House from Paris took place. French winter creations were presented for Polish public. This demonstration was the first this type of event in Poland.
- Further years will be published soon.